Terms and Conditions
- Government of Canada Privacy Statement
- Official Languages Notice
- Hyperlinking Notice
- Copyright/Permission to Reproduce
- Third-party Materials
- Online Policy
Government of Canada Privacy Statement
The Office of the Correctional Investigator does not automatically gather any personal information from you, such as your name, phone number, e-mail or street address during your visit to its Web sites. This information is only obtained if you supply it voluntarily, usually through contacting us via e-mail, or registering in a secure portion of the site.
All personal information you do provide is protected under the federal Privacy Act . This means that, at the point of collection, you will be informed that your personal information is being collected, the purpose for which it is being collected and that you have a right of access to the information.
Visitor information is not disclosed to anyone except the Office of the Correctional Investigator personnel who need the information to respond to a request. The information you give us will be shared with another government department ONLY if your inquiry relates to that department. We do not use the information to create individual profiles, nor do we disclose the information to anyone outside those who need to provide you with a response in the federal government.
The Office of the Correctional Investigator Web sites sometimes deposit cookies on visitor's computers. Cookies are commonly used tool to enable Web developers to fine-tune the site based on user-activity trends. The cookies store information about your computer as reflected below. They act as a generic label to allow us to tell how you navigate within our site, which helps us to determine how we might improve it.
The cookies are set to reside on your computer for a number of years as imposed by the Internet Server technology which the OCI uses for its Web sites. Cookies are used to help us understand Web site traffic. Information collected with the assistance of cookies is stored in standard Web server log files and log reports are generated on a monthly basis.
As well, cookies can store information visitors may provide about what is or isn't important to them, assisting us in focussing our efforts on information you need. For this type of cookie you will be explicitly asked to provide the information, you will be given the choice of doing so, and your ability to use the site will not be dependent on your choice.
Here is the list of information we collect during your visit on our site:
- The name of your Internet service provider, its IP address, and the name of your service provider's server. The Office of the Correctional Investigator makes no attempt to link these addresses with the identity of individuals visiting our site;
- The length of each visit;
- The number of requests per visit;
- Your type of operating system (Windows, Macintosh, Unix, etc.); and,
- Your browser type (Firefox, Internet Explorer, etc.).
We do not link this information with any of the information you voluntarily provide when you visit our site without explicit notification to the contrary.
A cookie is a small text file that is stored on your hard drive. During your visit to any Web site your browser exchanges information with the Web site's server. Cookies facilitate this exchange by reminding the server which computer is making the request. You do not need to accept cookies to visit our site.
You can set your browser to detect and reject cookies.
If you use Internet Explorer:
- Choose the Tools menu entry, then Internet Options.
- Select the Security tab, then click the zone you'd like to change, followed by the Custom button.
- Scroll down to the header titled Cookies, and choose how you'd like to handle cookies. You can choose to accept cookies from all sites, refuse to accept any, or be prompted whenever a site wants to send you a cookie.
If you are using Firefox, you can choose whether or not to accept a cookie by:
- Going to Tools, choose Options then select Privacy.
- Choose how you'd like to handle cookies with the option "Accept cookies from sites".
For less common browsers, please refer to the browser help contents
Questions or comments regarding this policy, or the administration of the Privacy Act at the Office of the Correctional Investigator may be directed to Access to Information and Privacy Administrative Services by e-mail to email@example.com or by calling 1-877-885-8848. If you are not satisfied that we have adequately respected your privacy, you may wish to contact the Office of the Privacy Commissioner via the Internet at http://www.priv.gc.ca .
Official Languages Notice
The Office of the Correctional Investigator respects the Official Languages Act and the relevant Treasury Board policies, and is committed to ensuring all information and services on this site is available in both English and French (or in one language only if a unilingual office). However, users should be aware that some information from external sources that are not subject to the Official Languages Act is only provided as a convenience and is available only in the language in which it was provided.
Links to Web sites not under the control of the Government of Canada ( GoC ) are provided solely for the convenience of users. The GoC is not responsible for the accuracy, currency or the reliability of the content. The GoC does not offer any guarantee in that regard and is not responsible for the information found through these links, nor does it endorse the sites and their content.
Users should be aware that information offered by non- GoC sites that are not subject to the Official Languages Act and to which the Office of the Correctional Investigator links, may be available only in the language(s) used by the sites in question.
Copyright/Permission to Reproduce
Materials on this Web site were produced and/or compiled by the Office of the Correctional Investigator for the purpose of providing Canadians with direct access to information about the programs and services offered by the Government of Canada.
The material on this site is covered by the provisions of the Copyright Act , by Canadian laws, policies, regulations and international agreements. Such provisions serve to identify the information source and, in specific instances, to prohibit reproduction of materials without written permission.
- Information on this Web site has been posted with the intent that it be readily available for personal or public non-commercial use and may be reproduced, in part or in whole, and by any means, without charge or further permission, unless otherwise specified.
- Users are required to:
- Exercise due diligence in ensuring the accuracy of the materials reproduced;
- Indicate both the complete title of the materials reproduced, as well as the author organization; and
- Indicate that the reproduction is a copy of an official work that is published by the Government of Canada and that the reproduction has not been produced in affiliation with, or with the endorsement of the Government of Canada.
- Unless otherwise specified, this authorization is also applicable to all published information regardless of its format.
Reproduction of multiple copies of materials on this site, in whole or in part, for the purposes of commercial redistribution is prohibited except with written permission from the Government of Canada's copyright administrator, Public Works and Government Services Canada ( PWGSC ). Through the permission-granting process, PWGSC helps to ensure that individuals / organizations wishing to reproduce Government of Canada materials for commercial purposes have access to the most accurate, up-to-date versions.
To obtain permission to reproduce materials on this site for commercial purposes, please go to PWGSC 's "Applying for Copyright Clearance on Government of Canada Works" page.
Public Works and Government Services Canada
Publishing and Depository Services
350 Albert Street, 4th Floor
Ottawa ON K1A 0S5
Questions or comments regarding this policy, or the administration of the Privacy Act at the Office of the Correctional Investigator may be directed to the Access to Information and Privacy Coordinator by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 613-991-9002. If you are not satisfied that we have adequately respected your privacy, you may wish to contact the Office of the Privacy Commissioner by calling 1-800-282-1376 or via the Internet at http://www.priv.gc.ca .
These documents were prepared under the direction of the Office of the Correctional Investigator. Although every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of its contents, the Office of the Correctional Investigator assumes no liability for the accuracy or reliability of the information contained herein.
Reproduction in whole or in part by any means is permitted, subject to the following restrictions:
- Physical copies must not be sold.
- Access to electronically stored copies must not require an incremental fee beyond customary subscription fees and costs of connection time.
- The author and the Department must be acknowledged as the source on all copies.
- Translations and modifications are not permitted.
Other requests for permission to re-publish should be addressed to the Minister of Public Works and Government Services Canada, Canada Communication Group.